And So It Has Begun!
It is that time of year again when school has begun. After a month into the school year, students and parents have been adjusting to the academic year. Adjustment to another school year is often accompanied by stress and anxiety. While many manage their stress and anxiety related to doing homework, taking exams, and balancing family life and extracurricular activities, some find themselves feeling stressed out and worried how to juggle everything.
At this point, you may hope to have developed a routine schedule and manage to balance all responsibilities in a healthy way as to continue moving forward towards personal goals. As you can imagine, this can be difficult task. Therefore, it is not uncommon to experience anxiety and stress related to daily life demands. Common anxiety symptoms you may experience are: difficulties with concentration, irritability, procrastination, problems with sleep, racing thoughts, and worrying. There is no need to struggle alone.
Some helpful suggestions:
- Get a planner to get organized. Write down assignments/plans, deadlines so you know what to expect ahead of time.
- Schedule a fun, relaxing activity to reward yourself
- Take care of your health- Make sure to get enough sleep, limit junk food, and exercise
- Talk to someone who cares (e.g. mom, dad, close friend, and/or therapist ☺)
Therapy can be a wonderful opportunity to learn coping skills and strategies tailored to your needs which can improve your ability to manage stress and anxiety. Contact Inner Balance today to get in touch with a professional to help you.
– Stephanie Manning, Psy.D.